Did you ever see one of those recipes that you just had to try/have?
This is one of them.
One day ago (as my daughter so sweetly says when retelling a story), I was feeding my Pinterest addiction and found a picture for layered lemonade cake…..holly bagolie. (when I get excited I tend to make up words)
The next thing I know, I am in the car headed to the store to get some ingredients. Now this is a big deal in itself because I HATE to go to the store, especially for just a few things. But there I was on the way to the store.
Once home I gathered my composure and ingredients and got to work.
This is hands down the best cake I have ever had. Incredibly moist, dense yet at the same time airy. The lemon isn’t to ‘slap your mama’ tart but nice and……lemony.
After consuming 1/2 the cake by my self next I want to try making it with some cherries (kinda like a cherry lemonade) or…..or….even better strawberry……oh my oh my. The possibilities are endless with this.
For the frosting I just whipped up the same base as the Oreo Cupcakes I made a while ago. Instead of crushed Oreo I put some lemon rind and more of the lemonade in.
Now that I think about it crushed Oreos would be incredible with/in this. Back to the kitchen to make more variations.
Adapted from myrecipes.com
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp lemon rind, grated (about ½ a lemons worth)
- 3 ½ Tbsp lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ Tbsp lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish .
- In a gallon sized Ziploc bag combine, flour, baking powder and soda and salt. Shake to mix and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream butter and sugars together. Add vanilla, lemon rind and lemonade. Mix until combine.
- Add eggs and egg whites one at a time, mixing completely in between.
- Add flour and buttermilk alternately into sugar mix. Mix well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 min, or until tooth pick (or I use a spaghetti) comes out clean.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a saucepan, whisk flour, lemon rind, milk and buttermilk. Stir constantly. Mixture will be thick. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl cream butter and both regular sugar and brown sugar. Add vanilla, lemonade and powdered sugar. Add cooled flour mix and beat. If it looks separated, you didn’t beat it enough.
- Frost cooled cake and store in fridge. Million time better cold.