When I heard that Steph over at Stephsbitebybite.com was hosting a bake sale for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, I knew I had to get involved.
I admire Steph not only for raising money for a great cause, but she is running in the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. I can barely get up the gumption to run to the mail box . Running a marathon is defiantly on my bucket list.
The reason I so desperately wanted to get involved with this particular bake sale is, a short few months back my husbands incredibly sweet and beautiful aunt died from Leukemia. She was far to young.
She is desperately missed and thought of everyday.
So I have decided to donate some of my goods….baked that is
Malinda wasn’t much of a sweets person (she had much better will power than I), but when she did indulge she enjoyed lemon cookies, ginger snaps and red velvet cake.
I too am a red velvet cake lover. So I made these little guys….Red Velvet Cookie Muffins w/ Brown sugar cream cheese icing….hello starchy pants, how u doin?
I hope I did her proud and I hope you enjoy.
Please, Please Please check out Steph’s site and donate to this wonderful bake sale (Friday, May 13th)
Both are incredible causes.
Red Velvet Muffin Cookies
Adapted from How Sweet Eats
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 Tbsp Almond milk (regular will work fine too)
- ½ pkg Oreo Cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Liberally grease and flour (or use paper liners) a mini muffin tin.
- Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and combine until smooth.
- Beat in red food coloring. Stir in cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt until just combined.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine Oreo cookie crumb and ½ (4oz) cream cheese until well combine
- Using a medium (1.5 Tbsp) cookie scoop, scoop out cookie dough into each cup of the mini muffin pan. Gently form up the sides creating a depression.
- Take some of that Oreo goodness and scoop about 1 -1 ½ teaspoonfuls into the cookie dough cup.
- Take a small amount of cookie dough and place on top and pinch together
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- For frosting, combine remaining cream cheese (4 oz), brown sugar, ¼ cup butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Once fully combine, add in powdered sugar ½ cup at a time.
- Put in a gallon sized Ziploc bag, cut off the one of the corners and frost cooled cookie muffins.