Ok, lets be honest and serious for a bit here. (because I am all about seriousness….not)
Is there really anything better than homemade bread? (other than chocolate)
I think not.
Not only does your house smell amazing (no cleaning that day ), but you don’t have to go to the store.
I took a page out of the fabulous Farmers Wife. (Check her out. She had incredible food and great stories. Her blog is a fabulous read.)
These came out perfect. Crusty exterior and a nice airy soft interior.
- 1 ¼ oz yeast (1 ½ package)
- 1 ½ cups water, warm (about 78-80 degrees)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ½ cups flour (plus more for dusting)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the dough hook, pour in yeast, water and sugar. Let sit 5 min. DO NOT TOUCH.
- After 5 min, add salt and turn mixer on. Add flour 1 cup at a time, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Once it starts to come together, gradually turn speed up to high and mix for 4 min. Watch your mixer very closely as it may “walk”.
- Oil a 13×9-inch baking pan and press dough into it. Brush top with a bit of oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise 2 hours. It should at least double in size.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet (or use a splat). Uncover the dough and place baking sheet, right side down, on top of dough. Invert dish onto baking sheet and shake to release dough.
- Cut dough into 6 (or desired size) squares and gently separate each square. Using small juice cups (or cans), place one cup (or can) on each corner of the baking sheet.
- Wrap with plastic wrap. Make sure plastic does not touch dough.
- Let rise 40 min.
- Pre heat oven to 475
- Remove plastic and glasses (or cans) and bake rolls for 20 min, or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool completely.